Upcoming Events
All Campus Recital ~ Winnetka February 24, 2018 5:00 pm Saturday, February 24 | 5-6 pm Winnetka Campus
Suzuki Cello Workshop 2018 - Day 3 February 25, 2018 10:00 am

MIC Headquarters Has a Proud History

The image in this story is taken from a 1930's era post card.

 

Located at 1702 Sherman Avenue in downtown Evanston, the Music Institute of Chicago (MIC) headquarters has a important cultural pedigree.  The building, situated at the busy intersection of Sherman Avenue and Church Street was originally a Marshall Field's Store. The store opened in 1929, becoming only the third location for the famed department store. New York Times article by Jennifer Stoffel in 1978 described the building as having, "A slate mansard roof with copper trim, a facade of marble and limestone and a five-foot bronze clock...for maximum effect, floodlights illuminated the building at night."

 

MIC relocated its headquarters to the Evanston space in August 2013 and now inhabits the lower level of the building where, according to the Department Store Museum, Marshall Field's situated its "Budget Floor" and operated its customer service, repair desk, dry cleaning and gift wrapping services on this level.  The building, which is listed on the local landmark register, was designed by the Chicago firm of Graham, Anderson, Probst & White. The design displays the characteristics of the Chicago School of architecture, including the use of limestone, marble, clean, square lines and prominent facades. Mark George, President and CEO of the Music Institute of Chicago stated that, "MIC, which operates Nichols Concert Hall, its own local landmark, is honored to have its headquarters in such a special space."

The summer registration race is on!

Register now for summer camps, workshops, classes and lessons for all ages and levels >>