Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Concert
Free and open to the public
The Music Institute presents an afternoon concert featuring special guest artists including MIC students, faculty, and alumni.
Remarks and reflections from: Mayor Steve Hagerty, City of Evanston; Dr. Helene Gayle, President & CEO for The Chicago Community Trust; Reverend Dr. Raymond Hylton, Senior Pastor, First Presbyterian Church of Evanston; and Dr. Mark George, President & CEO, Music Institute of Chicago
- Zachary Allen, MIC oboist and Chicago Musical Pathways Initiative fellow | William Grant Still: “Incantation”
- Hannah White, MIC alumna violinist | Carlos Simon: "Between Worlds"
- Sung Hoon Mo and Inah Chiu, MIC faculty duo piano | William Grant Still: Symphony No. 1 in A-flat, "Afro-American"
- Victor Goines and Friends | Victor Goines: "MLK Suite"
- Rachel Barton Pine, violin | Coleridge-Taylor Perkinson: “Louisiana Blues” and Daniel Bernard Roumain: “Hip-Hop Prayer No. 3”
- Tammy McCann, vocalist, MIC artist in residence, and Chicago Tribune's 2020 Chicagoan of the Year in jazz | Clara Ward: “How I Got Over”
- Brotherhood Chorale of the Apostolic Church of God, directed by Brother Brian Rice