The Music Institute of Chicago focuses on providing individualized attention for each student within a cooperative and supportive musical community. No matter your goals, MIC faculty and staff work collectively to ensure you reach them.
In order to fulfill our commitment to serving a diverse community of learners, the Music Institute of Chicago annually subsidizes tuition for students whose financial resources are limited.
- If you are a new student, please make an appointment to meet with your local campus for a placement interview and to complete your registration.
- If you are a current MIC student who needs to re-register, you may do so here >>
The Music Institute of Chicago does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
AGREEMENT TO POLICIES
Please be aware that by signing a Student Registration Form for any type of lesson or class, you are indicating you have read and agree to the terms as stated below on behalf of your child(ren)/ward(s) and/or yourself.
Students registered for fall lessons/classes will be automatically renewed for the spring semester.
- Exceptions to automatic renewal include Musical Theater, Roots & Rock, and Musikgarten® classes, for which students must always re-register.
- Alternate arrangements (including withdrawal) should be communicated in writing by January 15.
- Statements for spring tuition are sent to each student around December 15.
TUITION & PAYMENT POLICY
Tuition for private lessons is billed by semester and is due in full prior to the delivery of the first lesson unless students have enrolled in the installment plan. MIC reserves the right to stop lessons/classes if payment is not received within one week of the lesson/class start date. MIC also reserves the right to make contact by calling home, cell, work phone, or using any other means (fax, e-mail) in the pursuit of payment.
- Students may not continue lessons into a new semester if a balance remains from the previous semester.
- For students enrolling only in group classes, 100% tuition must be paid in full at registration to hold a place in the class, unless enrolled in the installment plan.
- The $30 registration fee is waived for continuing students who register by the July 15 early fall registration deadline.
- Registration forms will not be accepted without payment. Payment may be made by cash, debit, check, American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.
- Credit cards may be used online, by phone 847.905.1500, or in person at campus front desks.
- Checks, made payable to the Music Institute of Chicago, may be given to a campus receptionist or mailed to:
Music Institute of Chicago, 622 Davis Street, 4th Fl, Evanston, IL 60201.
A $25 fee will be charged for any returned checks.
Interest of 1.5% per month (18% APR) will be charged on unpaid balances more than 30 days past due. Finance charges continue to accrue until the balance is paid in full.
- Students are expected to be present for all classes and lessons.
- Private instruction students are allowed one make-up lesson per semester only in the event of illness or death in the family.
- No makeup lessons for summer private instruction.
- Notification of inability to attend a lesson does not excuse payment for contracted lessons.
- All lessons cancelled by the teacher will be made up at a mutually agreed upon time.
- Ensemble and group class absences may not be made up.
WITHDRAWAL and REFUNDS
(all policies are per semester) Withdrawal requests for all lessons and classes must be received in writing. The registration fee is non-refundable. Refunds for group and private instruction will be issued according to the following schedule:
- If the withdrawal takes place within 30 days after the first lesson/class of fall or spring semester, the tuition balance will be refunded.
- No refunds will be issued after 30 days of lessons/classes.
- No refunds will be issued for musicianship classes or summer camps.
Discounts may not be combined; the highest discount will be applied.
- A $50 discount per sibling, per semester, will be applied for each additional child (18 & under) taking private instruction within the same family.
- The first student pays in full. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 lessons per semester to qualify for this discount.
- Adults - (age 19+), taking a private lesson before 3:30 pm M-F in MIC studios receive a 20% reduction in tuition. This discount does not apply to special rate faculty.
- Seniors - (age 65+) receive a 15% discount on private lessons.
The Music Institute of Chicago uses solutions for safe credit card processing as validated by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council (PCISSC). Our procedures keep sensitive data as secure as possible for all credit card users. In addition, the Music Institute of Chicago does not sell or share transaction information to third parties.
SAFETY GUIDELINES, DEPORTMENT & DRUG POLICY
MIC students and their families agree to meticulously follow all rules established by MIC administration regarding the health and safety of MIC students, families, faculty, staff, and contractors, including, but not limited to, the use of face coverings, hand-washing and hand sanitizing requirements, social distancing, gatekeeping procedures, and teaching schedules. In addition, students and families agree to avoid MIC facilities when sick or when they know they have been in contact with individuals with confirmed cases of COVID-19. While on the Music Institute of Chicago’s premises, students and those accompanying them are expected to treat our faculty, staff, other students, and facilities respectfully. Firearms, weaponry, items deemed unsafe by staff, and pets (with the exception of service animals or guide dogs under ADA guidelines) are not allowed in the building. Food and beverages are not permitted in the studios. The use, possession, sale, transfer, purchase or being under the influence of alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs or other intoxicants by students and those accompanying them at any time on MIC premises or engaged in MIC related activities is strictly prohibited and can result in immediate expulsion and rescission of all scholarship monies. The student’s family will be responsible for paying any remaining balance from the point of expulsion through the completion of the semester.
Photographs, audio and video of students engaged in Music Institute of Chicago activities including but not limited to instruction, rehearsal, workshop or performances may be used in MIC publications, newspapers, magazines, radio and other related publicity materials including digital media. Your signature on this registration form constitutes consent and permission by the student and/or students’ parent(s) and legal guardians to use the student’s name and/or image/audio for any advertising, publicity, marketing or packaging. This release is irrevocable.
WAIVER AND RELEASE OF ALL CLAIMS
Parents/guardians/caretakers are responsible for supervising the safety and deportment of their children at all times while they are on the Music Institute’s premises.
In addition, in registering yourself or your minor child(ren)/ward(s) for participation in programs of the Music Institute of Chicago, you acknowledge you will be waiving and releasing all claims for injuries you or your child(ren)/ward(s) might sustain arising out of these programs.
To wit: I recognize and acknowledge that there are certain risks of physical injury to participants in programs of the Music Institute of Chicago, and I agree to assume the full risk of any such injuries, damages or loss regardless of severity which I or my child(ren)/ward(s) may sustain as a result of participating in any activities connected or associated with any such programs. I waive and relinquish all claims I or my child(ren)/ward(s) may have against the Music Institute of Chicago and its officers, agents, volunteers and employees from any and all claims from injuries, damage or loss which I or my child(ren)/ward(s) may have or which may accrue to me or my child(ren)/ward(s) on account of my participation or the participation of my child(ren)/ward(s) in any of these programs. I further agree to indemnify and hold harmless and defend the Music Institute of Chicago and its officers, agents, volunteers and employees from any and all claims resulting from injuries, damages and losses sustained by me or by my child(ren)/ward(s), and arising out of, connected with, or in any way associated with the activities of any of the programs. I have been provided with a copy of and have read the Music Institute’s “Enrollment Information and Policies” form and the claim waiver (above), and I agree to the terms as stated. Further, I have read and fully understand the program details and waiver and release all claims.