Institutional Giving

MIC was founded in 1931 by David and Dorothy Dushkin as a community music school dedicated to transforming lives through music education. Over nine decades, MIC itself has transformed into one of the largest and most respected community music schools in the nation, boasting a world-class faculty and campuses in Chicago, Evanston, Winnetka, Lincolnshire, Lake Forest and Downers Grove.

 

Thanks to the generosity of our foundation, government, and corporate supporters, the Music Institute brings music education and musical experiences to thousands of individuals of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities throughout the Chicago region each year. Our work is acheived through:

 

  • The Community Music School, which provides music education to 2,000 children and adults annually. Last year, CMS provided 61,704 hours of instruction to students from 85 Illinois communities, 20 states and 4 countries.
  • The Academy, a nationally recognized training center for highly gifted pre-college pianists and string players serving 30 exceptional young musicians annually and boasting an alumni roster of more than 300 musicians studying in top conservatories and playing professionally worldwide.
  • Nichols Concert Hall (NCH), a state-of-the-art, 550-seat performance space that welcomes more than 10,000 visitors annually for workshops and master classes, recording sessions, recitals, and performances by guest artists, faculty and students.
  • Community engagement programs such as ArtsLink and Third Coast Suzuki Strings, that provide intensive and quality music instruction to more than 1,000 underserved Chicago school students annually, 100% free of charge.

 

Corporate Spotlight

Shure Incorporated, 90th Anniversary Technology Sponsor