Addison C. Teng
Violin and Chamber Music Faculty
With Music Institute of Chicago since:
B.M. Violin Performance, Oberlin Conservatory of Music
M.M. Violin Performance and String Pedagogy, Northwestern University Bienen School of Music
Meadowmount School of Music
Significant teachers and mentors:
Sally Thomas, Ann Setzer, Roland and Almita Vamos, Amy Barlowe, Peter Takács, and Karen Ritscher.
Awards and achievements:
- Distinguished Alumnus of Meadowmount School of Music
- Outstanding Young Alumni Award at Oberlin College and Conservatory. Click here for more information.
- Chosen by the Oberlin Conservatory Dean to appear on Italian National television
- State Visit to the Captains Regents of San Marino for the Teng Studio tour to San Marino and Italy 2019
- Teng Studio Tour to San Marino and Italy 2019 featured on San Marino National Television. Click here for more information.
- In 2015, the Addison C. Teng merit scholarship was established at the Music Institute of Chicago for his studio.
Professional affiliations & activities:
- String Pedagogy, DePaul University School of Music, 2018 - present. Click here for further information.
- Violin, Pacific Music Institute, 2020 to present
- Violin and Chamber Music Faculty for Montecito International Music Festival, 2014-present
- Teaching assistant to Sally Thomas, Amy Barlowe, and Roland and Almita Vamos at the Meadowmount School of Music and Northwestern University
- Masterclasses across the United States, Taiwan, Canada, Brazil, San Marino, Italy, and China
- Artist in residence at the Golden Chamber Music Festival in Sleepy Hollow, MI in 2015
- Soloist with the Oberlin College Orchestra, Eastman String Fellowship Orchestra, Sinfonia Academy Orchestra in the Philippines, and the University of Macedonia Symphony Orchestra in Greece, Symphony Irvine, and Music Institute of Chicago Community Symphony.
- Numerous solo and chamber music performances in major concert halls throughout Taiwan, Hong Kong, Canada, Italy, France, and the United States
- Teng Studio tours in 2016 (Philippines), 2018 (Greece), 2019 (San Marino and Italy), and 2020. Click here for further information.
- Teng's students have recently placed at competitions both locally and nationally, including Hellam Young Artists Competition, Denver Young Artists National Violin Competition, Indianapolis Matinee Musicale Competition, Walgreens National Competition, Indiana School of Music Concerto Competition, Confucius Music Festival Competition, Sejong Music Competition, DePaul Concerto Competition, and Society of American Musicians, among others.
- Many of his students have been admitted to top universities and conservatories, including Indiana University, Northwestern University, Manhattan School of Music, New England Conservatory, Mannes New School of Music, Berklee College of Music, and University of Wisconsin – Madison, and have been awarded a Fulbright scholarship.
- His students have gone on to win jobs at Chicago Lyric Opera Orchestra, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, Grant Park Orchestra, Peninsula Music Festival, Evansville Philharmonic, and Louisville Philharmonic.
- Teng's students have soloed with the Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra, Springfield Symphony, and Montecito Festival Orchestra, Symphony Irvine, and have been guest concertmaster of Fort Wayne Symphony.